1929: The DSTC basketball team wears new green and gold jerseys in the school’s first intercollegiate athletic competition.
1933: The new Bulldogs nickname is introduced after football players see a resemblance to a bulldog in their teammate, Jack O’Hehir.
1959: A costumed mascot makes its first appearance at a basketball game against Concordia College.
1962: UMD acquires an American bulldog named Vicky as a mascot for sporting events and Homecoming.
1970: The first version of the bulldog head logo appears on hockey jerseys and other printed materials.
1984: The Maroon Loon, the bulldog’s counterpart at hockey games for 27 years, hits the ice.
1997: The mascot is renamed from Killer to Champ to create a more child-friendly image.
1998: An updated bulldog logo is created by Jesse Bodell.
Phone: (218) 726-8526
Location: Kathryn A. Martin Library
Library Annex 202 (see map)