Many times students start with using the keyword search but find they are getting too many citations.
There are a couple of ways in which you can narrow your search.
- Limit the field to words in the title.
- Search by a known author on your topic.
Using subject heading when searching PsycINFO and PsycARTICLES.
- Click on the Search Tools tab.
- Click on the Thesaurus tab.
- Type in your first term in the Browse Thesaurus for box and click GO. Make sure that the Select Display is the Alphabetical Index.
- You will see a list of the terms. Click on the descriptor (subject heading) you are interested in. You will see additional broader, narrower and related terms (not all will necessarily show - it depends upon the descriptor).
- Click AND or OR or Explode to include all narrower terms.
- AND indicates that both the descriptors must be in the same record
- OR indicates that it will search both terms or the individual terms
- Explode to include all narrower terms - searches the descriptor you chose and the narrower descriptors under the main descriptor.
- Click on Search.
- You can add another descriptor by clicking on the Thesaurus tab again (display should be alphabetical). Check to make sure descriptor was searched separately.
- To combine the descriptors, click on the History/Combine Searches tab. You can click on the box next to the #'s which you want to combine. Choose AND or OR and click on Combine.
Kathryn A. Martin Library
416 Library Drive
Duluth, MN 55812-3001